All my Littles in 2011. L-R, Samantha (5), Kendra (9), Patricia (5), Christian (5), John (4), Jayna (7), Madelyn (2)

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Getting in Shape- The Beginning

Disclaimer: I am nowhere close to a fitness expert and have developed my own plan on the fly... Please do not hold me accountable for any injuries or problems you may have if you try to follow me. Also I know there are many different ways to lose weight, if you would like to offer words of encouragement, please feel free.  If you would like to criticize or tell me a better or faster way PLEASE keep it to yourself!!!!  Thanks!

I decided last week that I have got to lose some weight!  I am about 50 lbs from where I want to be.  With having a house full of kids I have really let my health go.  I am doing far too much parenting from the couch & feel like I'm missing out on good times with my kids.  It is getting harder to get down in the floor to play & I don't even want to talk about getting up!   

I have traded convenience for health more than I care to admit.  I am ashamed to admit that last week we ate out (fast food or dine-in) 8 or 9 times!  Besides killing our budget, it has killed my energy level and patience.  Something has to give!  In addition to that I have made it up to 4 or 5 glasses of soda a day.  It is no wonder I am in such a mess physically! 

A Beginning: The past 3 days...
My first change was to cut out soda completely.  I am trying to drink at least 4 bottles of water a day (16 oz each) additionally I have also enjoyed Crystal Lite & Lemonade.  I have not and do not plan on cutting caffeine out completely.  I just can't give up my 2-3 cups of coffee a day!

We will not eat out near as much as we did last week.  To my defense my father-in-law passed away and we were traveling back & forth to my husband's hometown most of the last week.  It's about a 45 minute drive each way. And because of all the travel time and the craziness of the week it was much easier to dine out than grocery shop at 1am!  I usually try to keep it down to a fast food breakfast on Thursday.  We have piano practice that morning and it is so much easier than waking up at dawn to cook.  And we enjoy lunch at a local Mexican restaurant on Sunday's.  It is $.99 kid meal day and our whole family of 9 can eat out for about $30!

I have also been praying for the Lord to help open my taste buds to healthier foods.  I was a picky eater as a child and refused to eat most anything that was good for me.  I have carried that habit into my adult years.   I simply do not enjoy leafy greens, salads, & fish.  I want to gain the health benefits of eating these foods so I have asked the Lord for help.  I am excited to see how He works!

I began a workout routine today.  I plan to run on the treadmill, and use my Biggest Loser Bootcamp & Yoga DVD's for at least the next 6 weeks.  I had to make a chart for it...lol!  Here is my routine:

(WU= Warm-Up  CD=Cool Down)

I know it isn't that great of a copy.  If you want a better look I would be happy to email it to you. 

I plan on sharing this journey with you to help keep myself accountable for what I have or have not done.  I do not plan to do regular weigh-ins or keep track of my progress in any way during these 6 weeks.  I feel like if I do not make significant progress from week to week I may get down about it and stop trying.  Overall I just want to be healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment