All my Littles in 2011. L-R, Samantha (5), Kendra (9), Patricia (5), Christian (5), John (4), Jayna (7), Madelyn (2)

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Just a Little "Type A"...

Before I go much further in this blog I should probably let y'all know who you are dealing with.  I am a Type A personality. 

Discovery Health defines Type A as:
"According to the scientific literature, the Type A Personality construct describes someone who is aggressively involved in a chronic, incessant struggle to achieve more and more in less and less time. The defining characteristics of the Type A Behavior Pattern (TABP) are a strong drive to succeed, hostility, competitiveness, perfectionism, a desire for recognition, wealth and advancement, difficulty talking about feelings, and a sense of urgency and impatience. More up-to-date research has found that there are actually two main types of behaviors in the TABP: Achievement Striving and Impatience-Irritability."

Wikipedia defines it as:
"The theory describes a Type A individual as ambitious, aggressive, business-like, controlling, highly competitive, impatient, preoccupied with his or her status, time-conscious, and tightly-wound. People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving "workaholics" who multi-task, push themselves with deadlines, and hate both delays and ambivalence."

This doesn't completely define me but it comes close.  I am constantly struggling with myself to be a little less "Type A".  I have to fight within myself constantly to make myself be patient with my kids, to not be sooo rigid, and lower my expectations.  For years I expected perfection from myself and my family and would get upset when it was not achieved.  I have a very strong desire to get more done in less time and when I feel things slipping out of my control and tend to get very stressed out.  This is a very hard personality to have with so many little children.   

I just wanted to let you all know this about me because it will defiantly be reflected in my writings and household processes.   Just keep this in mind when you read something of mine and think to yourself "This lady is nuts!"  ;-)

1 comment: